Learn to weigh opioids' risks and benefits
The free CO*RE CME program on safe opioid prescribing is offered by osteopathic affiliate groups across the country.
Opioid pain relievers are prescribed every day to millions of Americans who experience chronic pain. Unfortunately, since 2012 prescription opioid drug abuse, misuse, and addiction have reached epidemic proportions.2 In 2018, approximately 67,000 deaths occurred due to drug overdose across the United States, and 70% of these deaths involving opioids.1
To take action against the opioid crisis, the AOA joined forces with the CO*RE Collaborative to provide healthcare professionals with CME on pain management and safer opioid prescribing. The CO*RE curriculum is in alignment with the FDA’s mission and follows the FDA Blueprint (September, 2018).
After completing a CO*RE CME course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the pathophysiology of pain as it relates to the concepts of pain management
- Accurately assess patients in pain
- Develop a safe and effective pain treatment plan
- Identify evidence-based non-opioid options for the treatment of pain
- Identify the risks and benefits of opioid therapy
- Manage ongoing opioid therapy
- Recognize behaviors that may be associated with an opioid use disorder
Upcoming CO*RE Courses