Leaders of the profession
The AOA's highest honor recognizes contributions to osteopathic profession
The 2023 application is now closed.
We are pleased to announce nominations are being accepted for the AOA’s highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award. This prestigious award is presented annually to deserving physicians or lay individuals for outstanding contributions to the understanding and advancement of osteopathic medicine through research, education, financial aid or other areas that enable the profession to make a greater contribution to public health.
The award will be made on the basis of outstanding achievement by an individual. Preferential consideration will be given to those individuals whose service has been to or through the osteopathic medical profession.
No current elected officer of the AOA or its affiliate organizations shall be eligible during their term of office to receive a Distinguished Service Award. No more than three Distinguished Service Awards may be awarded in a given year.
The deadline for nominations is now closed. The award(s) will be presented at the 2023 House of Delegates.
Criteria for Eligibility
The criteria for selection of these outstanding nominees shall include one or more of the following:
- Contribution to the advancement of the osteopathic medical profession
- Contribution to the art and science of osteopathic medical education
- Contribution to the osteopathic profession through research
- Contribution to the osteopathic profession through philanthropic leadership
Nominations should include the following:
- Curriculum vitae of nominee
- Letter of recommendation from the nominating affiliate’s governing board (e.g., state osteopathic medical, osteopathic specialty society, college of osteopathic medicine and/or non-practice affiliate)
- Photo of nominee (optional)