Leading by example
AOA seeks nominations for Mentor of the Year
Know an exceptional role model who deserves recognition? Consider nominating your DO role model for the 2021 award.
The AOA Mentor Recognition Program was developed to honor DOs who help shape the future of the osteopathic profession through their involvement with osteopathic medical students and new physicians in practice. Students, DOs, AOA affiliates or any other member of the osteopathic professional family are welcome to submit nominations. Nominations for the 2021 Mentor of the Year Award will be accepted until May 22, 2021.
This year, add videos or photos to your submission. Email additional materials to email@example.com.
Questions? Email Priya Garg, Chief Engagement and Diversity Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To nominate your mentor, please complete the nomination form. The criteria for nominations are listed below. Please note that submissions are limited to one per person, and will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m. CT on May 22, 2021.
Criteria for nominations:
- The mentor is an AOA member in good standing, which will be verified.
- The mentor has maintained relationships with mentees through their training to becoming DO colleagues while encouraging them to develop talents and strengths.
- The mentor helps mentees acquire the skills and resources needed to succeed as scholars and professionals.
- The mentor is an advocate and leader in their profession and has helped mentees present research, find post-doctoral options, and secure job placement.
- The mentor demonstrates respect and a sincere and active interest in the well-being of mentees.
Nomination questions include:
- At what point in your career did this person mentor you?
- What qualities made this person a good mentor?
- Did you choose this person as a mentor? If so, what characteristics made you choose him/her? If not, how did the mentorship begin?
- Have you picked up any personal/professional traits or characteristics from your mentor?
- What activities did you share with your mentor?
- How has your mentor had an impact on your life?
- Please share your favorite mentor story/stories.