Leading by example
AOA seeks nominations for Mentor of the Year
Know an exceptional role model who deserves recognition? Consider nominating your role model for the 2020 award.
The AOA Mentor Recognition Program was developed to honor DOs who help shape the future of the osteopathic profession through their involvement with osteopathic medical students and new physicians in practice. Nominations for the 2020 Mentor of the Year Award will be accepted until May 17. Students, DOs, AOA affiliates or any other member of the osteopathic professional family are welcome to submit nominations.
Questions can be directed to William Padilla, Program Manager, Student & Young Physician Affairs, at email@example.com.
To nominate your mentor, please fill out this form. The criteria on the form is listed below. Please note that submissions are limited to one per person, and will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m. CT on May 17.
Criteria for nominations:
- The mentor is an AOA member in good standing.
- AOA membership will be verified for all nominees submitted to each entity.
- The mentor fosters the long-term development from mentee to D.O. colleague, encouraging mentees to develop individual talents and strengths by acting as an advisor and guide.
- At what point in your career did this person mentor you?
- What qualities made this person a good mentor? The mentor facilitates mentees in acquiring the skills and resources needed to succeed as scholars and professionals.
- Did you choose this person as a mentor? If so, what characteristics made you choose him/her? If not, how did the mentorship begin?
- Have you picked up any personal/professional traits or characteristics from you mentor?
- The mentor acts as an advocate and leader in professional matters, such as presentation of research findings, post-doctoral options and job placement and practice development.
- What activities did you share with your mentor?
- The mentor demonstrates respect and a sincere and active interest in the well-being of mentees.
- How has your mentor had an impact on your life?
- We then ask the nominator to share their favorite mentor story/stories.