Looking Forward newsletter: Fall 2023
Each year, the AOA’s Bureau of International Osteopathic Medicine (BIOM) invites osteopathic medical students and DO residents to submit their global health research abstracts or narrative medicine essays to our Annual Global Health Abstract Competition for the chance to win prizes and a spotlight at our OMED conference. The competition celebrates the outstanding contributions of these individuals to global health and to migrant populations within the US*, and provides a platform for them to share their experiences with others.
Recognizing Excellence: the BIOM received a number of compelling submissions, and the following individuals were selected as this year’s winners:
- Best Overall ($1,500 prize): Tafadzwa Amani, OMS IV, Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine – “Epidemiology of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy and Associated Factors in Rural Guatemala” (Research Abstract)
- Research Category:
- First Place ($750): Megan Sampath, OMS-II, & Onyinyechi Nwosu, OMS-II, Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine – “Knowledge and beliefs about the human papillomavirus and its vaccine are consistent across healthcare providers in the Paso del Norte region….”
- Second Place ($500): Akila Goel, OMS-II, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine – “Utilization of multivitamin supplementation in conjunction with albendazole antiparasitic agent protocols among patients in the Dominican Republic”
- Narrative Category:
- First Place ($750): Samyukthaa Saiprakash, OMS-III, Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine – “The Mother of Invention”
- Second Place ($500): Kamryn Benscoter, OMS-II, Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine – “Honduras: A Mutualistic Experience”
Join the Celebration: Mark your calendar for Friday, October 6th, as we spotlight these remarkable individuals and their contributions on the virtual OMED23 poster platform. The poster platform is free to view (OMED registration is not required), and log-in instructions will be available in early October on the BIOM webpage. If you are unable to participate in the live presentations and discussion with the winners, you can also log in to view all posters any time between Oct. 6 and December 31.
Paving the Way for Future Leaders: We encourage all students and residents who are passionate about global health to log in on October 6th to engage with this year’s winners, and consider participating in next year’s competition. The application window for the 2024 competition will open in late spring 2024, and we encourage you to check our website for updates.
The AOA BIOM Global Health Abstract Competition isn’t just an event; it’s a platform for recognizing excellence, inspiring progress, and fostering a community of globally-minded healthcare leaders. Join us as we honor the winners, celebrate their contributions, and look forward to a future where osteopathic healthcare knows no bounds.
Thank you to our co-sponsors for their generous support!