Be a leader
Apply for the Bureau of Emerging Leaders OMED Scholarship Program
Want to make connections and make an impact? Consider applying for the 2023 scholarship.
Please note that the application for the BEL OMED Scholarship Program is now closed.
The Bureau of Emerging Leaders’ OMED Scholarship Program was created to increase resident, fellow and new physician in practice participation in leadership.
Questions can be directed to Priya Garg, Chief Engagement and Diversity Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship winners will receive:
- Up to $1,500 travel stipend to cover the cost of an economy round-trip flight booked at least 30 days before OMED and two nights’ hotel lodging
- Complimentary OMED registration
- Personalized OMED itinerary
- Exclusive opportunities to network with AOA leadership
Who can apply?
Osteopathic residents, fellows and new physicians in practice who meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in an ACGME-accredited postdoctoral training program (if you are a resident/fellow)
- Within five years of completing postdoctoral training (if you are a new physician in practice)
- First-time OMED attendee
- Current AOA member
Applicants with an interest in the following are encouraged to apply:
- Continued engagement and leadership within the osteopathic profession
- Professional or political advocacy
- Attend the following required events at OMED:
- Orientation with BEL OMED Scholarship Workgroup prior to the start of OMED
- Opening and general sessions
- Welcome reception
- Any AOA leadership receptions and networking events as invited
- Share your experience on social media during and after OMED
- Write a testimonial to use for future marketing materials
- Participate in mentoring sessions at OMED as requested
- Complete a pre- and post-OMED survey
Check out what some of our past scholarship winners had to say about OMED!
Benjamin Berthet, DO, OMED 2022
I received the BEL Scholarship in 2022 to attend OMED in Boston, Massachusetts. Meeting the AOA leadership and supporters of the scholarship was a tremendous joy as their positive energy and passion for the osteopathic profession was extremely rejuvenating. The scholarship allowed me to instantly connect with like-minded peers and set the stage for a much more productive and educational experience at OMED. From the plenary speakers to the Gala and BEL Social, I would 100% encourage my osteopathic colleagues to apply for the scholarship. Osteopathy is about service to others. Professional advocacy is about serving others outside of the clinic. The BEL Scholarship helped allow me make connections and support my professional journey in a way that I will always remember and be grateful for!
Nigel Jagoo, DO, OMED 2022
Being able to attend OMED truly re-energized me and reminded me of why I chose to become an osteopathic physician.
Jasmine Jones, DO, OMED 2022
The BEL scholarship program served to be one of the highlights of my residency experience. Having the opportunity to attend OMED introduced me to the many avenues of leadership that are available for me to pursue throughout my career. The opportunities to advance the osteopathic profession are limitless, and this scholarship has allowed me to realize my true potential as a DO. Throughout this experience I was also able to form bonds with colleagues in different specialties as well, which will serve me for a lifetime. For these reasons, I am beyond grateful for the BEL Scholarship Program.
Elysia Tjong, DO, OMED 2022
I really enjoyed meeting and networking with people from different parts of the U.S. who I can now call colleagues. This scholarship allowed me to learn more about events and involvement within the osteopathic profession during residency, which I would have not been able to do otherwise. I would highly recommend applying for this scholarship!
Mansi Vadodaria, DO, OMED 2021
OMED 2021 has been an engaging and exciting virtual weekend that was filled with lectures of diverse topics, fun interactive scavenger hunts, a medical resident focused series of lectures and thought-provoking and tear-jerking opening speakers. As a recipient of the BEL OMED scholarship, I was fortunate to be a part of OMED 2021 as it provided me with the resources and knowledge to continue growing in my journey as an osteopathic physician. I look forward to my future opportunities to attend OMED!
Janak Patel, DO, OMED 2021
As a PGY1 in Internal Medicine Residency I was awarded the opportunity to be a recipient of the BEL OMED scholarship program. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity as it allowed me to connect to my peers in the field of Osteopathic Medicine. Furthermore, I was provided guidance prior to OMED and this augmented my overall experience at my first OMED. It is more hope that future recipients gain a similar experience and opportunity.