Eye on research
AOA reopens RFA on OMM Observational & Explorative Research Studies
The topic investigates the successful effects of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) on disease.
The AOA Bureau of Osteopathic Research and Public Health (BORPH) is reopening the RFA on Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) Observational & Explorative Research Studies addressing one of 14 research hypotheses designed to investigate the successful effects of OMM on disease. These topics include:
OMT and Pain Management
- OMT will reduce the length of days of headaches in migraine patients.
- OMT will be effective at reducing facial pain and improves patient perceptions of care in facial sinus congestion.
- OMT will be an effective technique to reduce pain and NSAID use in tension headache patients.
- OMT will reduce the use of medications, especially opioids.
OMT and Surgical Outcomes
- OMT will reduce post-operative shoulder surgery edema.
- OMT will reduce chest discomfort after thoracotomy.
- OMT will enhance the quicker return of normal bowel function post-operative.
OMT and Respiratory Issues
- OMT will reduce the frequency of hospitalizations in patients with COPD and COPD exacerbations.
- OMT will improve pulmonary function in patients with asthma.
- OMT will decrease the respiratory symptoms of long-haul COVID patients.
OMT and Pediatric Issues
- OMT will reduce the number of hospital days for pediatric patients suffering from pneumonia.
- OMT will improve feeding difficulties in newborns.
Other OMT Research Topics
- OMT will enhance immunological response to vaccines.
- OMT will reduce the incidence of falls in the frail elderly.
The Osteopathic Approach is based on the tenets of osteopathic medicine. The osteopathic tenets are a foundation of the osteopathic profession. It emerges the osteopathic philosophy of the holistic approach to care by helping patients be truly healthy in mind, body, and spirit — not just free of symptoms. The tenets of osteopathic medicine are defined as follows:
- The body is a unit; the person is a unity of body, mind, and spirit.
- The body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance.
- Structure and function are reciprocally interrelated.
- Rational treatment is based upon an understanding of the basic principles of body unity, self-regulation, and the interrelationship of structure and function.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2021
Funds Available: Up to $20,000
Grant Period: 18 months (beginning Oct. 1, 2021)
Read more detailed information and take a short eligibility quiz to determine eligibility if you are eligible to participate in this grant opportunity.